The Tasmanian Tiger Forum
  Thylacine Chat
  Aboriginal names for the tiger

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Aboriginal names for the tiger
Dingbat
posted 21-11-2003 13:34     Click Here to See the Profile for Dingbat   Click Here to Email Dingbat     Edit/Delete Message
Hi,

Does anyone know of any tasmanian aboriginal words for the tiger? Or any other reference in mythology about them.

Or has that dissapeared too?

Thanks

IP: Logged

Tiakitai
posted 07-12-2003 13:39     Click Here to See the Profile for Tiakitai     Edit/Delete Message
Hi,
I asked my Dad about this but he didn't know although he said that he thinks that Thylacines were eaten by the Tasmanian Aboriginals. There are rock drawings, believed to be of Thylacines, in Western Australia and the Northern Territory. The fate of the Tasmanian Aboriginals was, in some ways, similar to that of the Thylacine, although their end came even earlier than that of our favourite marsupial.

TwoHorses
posted 27-07-2004 15:46     Click Here to See the Profile for TwoHorses   Click Here to Email TwoHorses     Edit/Delete Message
Here are the names that I've found out, probably from Tasmanian Aboriginal languages.

Coorinna
Loarinna
Laoonana
Lagunta

marrukurli
posted 21-05-2005 18:10     Click Here to See the Profile for marrukurli   Click Here to Email marrukurli     Edit/Delete Message
Okay, the Adnyamathanha people of Flinders Ranges, South Australia called them marrukurli. That of course is where I got my username. Just don't ask me how to pronounce it, is all!

All times are AEST

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | tasmanian-tiger.com

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.45c